Monday, June 01, 2009

MAY IN THE OUTER BANKS



We arrived on the OBX (Kitty Hawk) on Friday afternoon, May 15th. It was a gorgeous day but days like the first one would be short-lived.



We rented the same ocean side cottage we've rented a couple of times before. A gorgeous view from back deck to say the least. But you will notice the sky is getting darker and the waves a bit higher.

I'm not all that fond hanging out along the Outer Banks as I'd much rather be somewhere I can ride and see different scenes. Not much to see along the Outer Banks from one end to the other.

But Princess and Grandaughter Lauren did manage to take advantage of a break in wind and rain to hunt for beach glass.




We had to turn on the heat for 3 out of the 5 days we were there. The wind was pretty much a constant 35 mph with higher gusts. For a day and a half the rain was un-ending. Actually it was all too reminicent of most of the times I've been to the OBX with Princess. I think I'll not be up for another visit for quite some time. Of course Princess loves the ocean and that means I'll be taking my lead from her. I'm sure some future day she'll say, "I can smell the ocean" and that will be my cue.








Local friends Graelie and Porter hosted a little get together. It's always nice to visit friends when you're out on the road.




I'm not sure where we're off to next though we do have a some New England travel plans made and I'm really lookin' forward to that. In the meantime Princess has suggested I take another one of my "last great solo rides". The older I get the more meaningful a long ride gets. I started these annual "last great solo rides" 11 years ago at the age of 50. It's get tougher every year and I'm sure this one will be just as challenging.
Now, I don't do those "IRONBUTT" runs because I don't see the point of racing through a 1,000 mile ride; especially when I'm still capable of making it through 3K miles enjoying every mile of the journey.


















No comments: